The residual image of my digital self

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A poem by me in honor of my late grandmother

Madam Hollon

In the old country of Ireland, the heads of the family are called “THE” and “MADAM”. I say this because Poppy was defiantly a THE and Mamie was an elegant MADAM. It is in this spirit that I read the “Breastplate of Madam Hollon”, which is derived from a famous old Irish prayer. A breastplate is the part of the armor that protects the heart and other vital parts. St. Patrick had his, and this one is in the spirit of Mamie.


I bind myself today to the strong virtue of Love

I believe in the Trinity of God

The Creator, The Son, & The Divine Spirit

I join today with all that resides in Heaven

And the belief in Angels

I bind myself today to the idea of Heaven on Earth

The light of stars

The wonder of water

The color of the rainbow, and double rainbows

The flash of lighting

The hunger of the hummingbird

The redness of the Cardinal

The unity of nature, from the pebble to the mountain.

I devote myself today to the virtues of the Creator

To the care for the sick

To love everyone I meet,

I believe in the Truths of Faith

God’s strength will lift me

God’s wisdom will direct me

God’s eyes will watch over me

God’s ear will hear me

God’s voice will speak through me.

I bind myself to the love and protection of Christ

For Christ is with me

Christ is in front of me, and behind me

Christ is in me

Christ is below me, and above me

Christ is to the left and the right of me

Christ is in the eye of all those who see me

Christ is in the mouth of all those who speak to me

Christ is in the heart of all those who think of me

I bind myself to all these

And to the Holy Spirit, which makes these possible.

I also devote myself today to live in the light of love

And to the joy and happiness the present moment can bring.

Amen & Awomen


I wrote this because I believe that Mamie, or Madam, really tried to live this way everyday. I am not saying that she was perfect, but that she really did try. I also think that she succeeded on more levels than she could have known herself. I think that St Patrick is up there now saying that if anyone else were to have binding prayer, madam is the right woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment